Enhance Series - Rice
With the addition of a little flavouring, rice can easily be enhanced and provide a more interesting accompaniment for a meal.
The benefit of the following technique is that not only can you massively enhance the rice, but it also provides a method to keep rice warm for up to 2 hours before serving - a killer technique for bringing together a good meal with company.
This recipe will provide 6 generous portions.
- Wash 400g basmati rice until it runs clear of starch.
- Simmer the basmati in 600ml of vegetable stock for about 20 minutes until almost tender.
- Zuzz together 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, salt and pepper, a chopped onion and a handful of coriander and spinach or parsley until they are smooth. Alternatively, replace these herbs with others, or 4 tsp paprika or your favourite spice. You can also experiment with chillis and tinned or pureed tomatoes, for example.
- Stir this puree gently over a low heat in a pan for 5 minutes to cook through.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir until it's well coated in the herb or spice mix.
- Place in an ovenproof dish and cover with baking parchment / paper and a lid, and put in a pre-heated oven at 120C/225F/Gas 1 for 30 minutes to finish cooking, and to absorb the flavours.
The rice can be left alone in the oven like this for up to 2 hours before you're ready to serve.
We're currently offering this rice with some of our meal choices for collection or delivery.